Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Life Transitions

One of the most important lessons I have learned in my life is that circumstances will definitely change.  At times for the better and, at other times, for the worse.  A miracle or a tragedy may be just a round the corner.  I, for one, am glad that life rarely gives us the slightest hint of what comes next.  I have grieved the death of so many loved ones that there have been times when I felt I just could not go  on.  Time would pass and  there would be something to celebrate; e.g.  a new baby, an amazing trip, falling in love, a young person to encourage, a donation from a stranger, a note thanking me for touching a life.  The list is endless and the joy continues to outweigh the sorrow.    That"s how i choose to tip the scales most days!

In this, my sixth decade of life, I am more aware than ever what a precious gift life is.  Several close friendships with women span the last 38 years of my life.  Just one  remains alive from my college days and we remain close.  Other friendships with men and women are of 15-25  years a dear to me, but Rita,  who lived on the same dorm floor as I, is especially precious.  We are just a year apart in  age and we have supported and loved each other through life's ups and downs for over three decades.  She is abled-bodied yet that has made little difference in our long enduring friendships.

In terms of my disability, the aging process as slowed me down somewhat, but not as much as one might think. Living with cerebral palsy always required that I live life in "slow motion" with a certain level of discomfort.  Being diagnosed with osteo arthritis six years ago and having hip replacement surgery has added more limitation but, after several years, I have made the necessary adjustments and continue doing most things with little assistance.  My life has never been "easy" whatever that means, however, it remains good.  Sometimes VERY GOOD!

 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1402919435007&set=o.93128826087&type=3

No comments :

Post a Comment