Saturday, June 15, 2013

Return to Blogger

Word press no longer seems to be working so I will just pick up where I left off. I'll start by reminding all of you that I have a public AND a private life. My focus has changed to emphasize my return to working as an Independent Advocate/Educator to further (sometimes it feels more like begin) the cause of Disability Rights. Although summer is usually a "laid back" time for me to enjoy swimming and t raveling, this summer I will be attending 2 conferences. The Society for Disabled Studies and the annual conference of the National Council of Independent Living. I'm all about uprooting the biases the lay deep within the system itself and, already, some reorganization is starting. I am VERY encouraged by the way my physicians at Penn State Hershey have responded to my choice to use the very minimum of medications and allow me to continue with exercise and diet as my primary ways of managing the changes that come with living longer and having severe cerebral palsy. A few hours of help from an aide I've had for almost 5 months allows me to have the weekends on my own to enjoy the outdoors. I hope you enjoy the summer and look with hope toward the horizon.

No comments :

Post a Comment